Sunday, September 03, 2006
Proof that I Don't Sock
That was a pun, get it? I don't suck, because I have figured out how to knit socks. On double pointed needles. For those of you who don't knit, double pointed needles are these terribly scary looking things with a sharp point on each end; a sock being knit looks a lot like a medieval torture device. I had a fear of those things for a long time, plus knitting in the round. I got over that fear because I am avoiding an acrylic shawl I said I'd make for my grandmother.

My father's birthday is coming up, and like most dads, he's got everything he could ever need or want. So, figuring out a gift is no easy feet (ha, another pun). One day, Dad and I were on the phone.
"You still knitting like an old lady?" Dad asked.
"Yes, Dad. It's relaxing. Besides, I often think about Grandma when I knit,"(My dad's mom was something of a savant knitter and crocheter).
"Well, sure, I guess that makes sense. Knit socks yet?" Dad asked.
"No, double pointed needles scare me. But maybe one day I'll knit you a pair."
"That'd be nice. Just watch the heel. Turning the heel can be tough."

He was right. Turning the heel CAN be tough, and thanks to Grandma, Dad knew that. That's why I hope he'll appreciate these.

They are going to be ginormous on him; they are becoming the Grinch socks. They are made of one hundred percent wool and they will shrink once he washes them in a machine, which is why I must tell him: "Don't wash these unless you have absolutely horribly smelly feet and even then, wash them in the sink." Of course, this will make the socks obsolete; he will wear them once and then realize they are far too thick and heavy for daily life and he will place them in the back of his sock drawer along with those other misbegotten gifts I have given over the years. Nonetheless, there they are. Green Grinch socks for Dad.
Doesn't it look like something out of Aliens? However, this wool is really delicious to knit--it reminds me of rustic days and log cabins. I hope my Dad will wear them once before a roaring fire, and sip hot chocolate on a cold day, and remember how his mother used to knit for him, as well. Posted by Picasa
Written by FRITZ
| Link | 9 wise cracks! |



Name: Fritz

Location: Detroit Rock City!
Where the weak are killed and eaten

Click here to find out
even more!



What My Brain is Eating
  • eatpraylove
  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nukes524. Make your own badge here.

    What I Live By:
    We shall not cease from exploration And the end of all our exploring Will be to arrive where we started And know the place for the first time. Through the unknown, unremembered gate When the last of earth left to discover Is that which was the beginning; At the source of the longest river The voice of the hidden waterfall And the children in the apple-tree Not known, because not looked for But heard, half-heard, in the stillness Between two waves of the sea. Quick now, here, now, always— A condition of complete simplicity (Costing not less than everything) And all shall be well and All manner of thing shall be well When the tongues of flame are in-folded Into the crowned knot of fire And the fire and the rose are one. -T.S. Eliot "Little Gidding"

    I Heart Tits

    HNT_1

    Blogarama - The Blogs Directory