Wednesday, October 05, 2005
My Most Recent Conversation with the Bureaucrats
I know many of you are interested in my unemployment issue. I have come to a point now where I no longer can cry about this issue and must mock it, instead. As stated previously, I was denied my unemployment benefits by the GDC. I did have a lengthy chat with unemployment last week, and got a letter in the mail that I was, in fact, approved. It was supposed to go right into my account. It didn't. So, I called unemployment again, today.

Here is the telephone conversation that ensued:

Bureaucrat: "Hello?" (Strong Spanish accent)
Me: "Yes, hello. I thought my benefits were approved, but I haven't seen the money."
B: "Ohhhhkay. Let me see..." (Furious typing) "Yes! You were approved last month."
M: "Mmmhmmm. So, where is the money?"
B: "Ohhh, I see here. You were approved but then unapproved."
M: "Huh?"
B: "Apparently, GDC re-denied your claim."
M: "Can they do that?"
B: "Oh, yes. You see, we initially approved you, but then they took it back."
M: "Took it back?"
B: "Well, they did not respond as quick as we did."
M: "Why not?"
B:...."Let me talk to my supervisor and call you back."
M: "Okay."
Click! Panic sets in, panic sets in....
RING!
M: "Hello?"
B: "Yes, this is the green card holder who works for the Department of Labor..."
M: "Yeah, yeah, what's going on?"
B: "Oh, they did deny it. It overrides our decision. You have fifteen days to make an appeal."
M: "How can they do that?"
B: "So, you can fax the letter to us, or mail it, or you can even come down to the office! And then, you go to hearing. You go to hearing where they tell you to, and you state your case. Okay? Si? Okay, have a good day!"
Click.

Now, let the laughing begin in earnest. I'm broke. I can't get unemployment. The temp agencies haven't called with job offers. I have one decent shot with the interview tomorrow, but no prospects after that. Bills have gone unpaid.

I've written to the Electronic Frontier Foundation for help. I've emailed Creative Loafing , an Atlanta mag that focuses on independent and liberal news, for publishment of my issues. I've called my boyfriend at work who tells me to not panic, I'll get the job. I've gone to lunch with two priests for spiritual health reasons. I've spoken to one attorney who told me I shot myself in the foot. I've asked my parents for help with an attorney and have also been denied that claim. I've asked the cat for some words of advice, and she won't talk. I've contacted local senators who have failed to understand that Free Speech is still a right. I've emailed the ACLU. I've asked Philip Morris for sympathy cigarettes to no avail (those bastards...you give 'em five thousand dollars a year and they can't donate a carton?). I asked the Health Clinic if I could get some Zoloft and they told me only if I don't have a college education and am burdened with three or four illigitimate children.

So, here's my request: Please send cigarettes and an attorney. Please. And laugh with me, or I might just start crying again.
Written by FRITZ
| Link | 13 wise cracks! |



Name: Fritz

Location: Detroit Rock City!
Where the weak are killed and eaten

Click here to find out
even more!



What My Brain is Eating
  • eatpraylove
  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nukes524. Make your own badge here.

    What I Live By:
    We shall not cease from exploration And the end of all our exploring Will be to arrive where we started And know the place for the first time. Through the unknown, unremembered gate When the last of earth left to discover Is that which was the beginning; At the source of the longest river The voice of the hidden waterfall And the children in the apple-tree Not known, because not looked for But heard, half-heard, in the stillness Between two waves of the sea. Quick now, here, now, always— A condition of complete simplicity (Costing not less than everything) And all shall be well and All manner of thing shall be well When the tongues of flame are in-folded Into the crowned knot of fire And the fire and the rose are one. -T.S. Eliot "Little Gidding"

    I Heart Tits

    HNT_1

    Blogarama - The Blogs Directory